A recent article published by the Indy Star names our home, Elizabethtown, Kentucky as the fastest growing city for startups in the United States. Oh and by the way our southern neighbor Bowling Green, Ky was third on the list following St. Louis.
The Indy Star Article:
The hottest cities for startups aren’t what you’d expect. We’re not talking San Francisco or Austin or Boston. We’re talking small and mid-sized cities concentrated largely in the South and Midwest, according to new research from data journalism site FiveThirtyEight, driven by information from the Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs.
The fastest growing city for startups in the U.S.? Little old Elizabethtown, Kentucky. Four cities in Missouri make the list. And here in Indiana, Columbus clocks in as the 15th fastest growing city for startups. According to the data, 71 new startups were created in 2014. That might not sound like a huge number, but that’s 4.9 percent of all businesses started in the city that year, and up 1.1 percent over 2009.
Little old Elizabethtown, Kentucky is at the top of the list published on the data journalism site FiveThirtyEight. The image below is a chart from the article on FiveThirtyEight.
The article which highlights the success of startups in Saint Louis; but also, mentioned Elizabethtown and other top cities around the US writes:
Data from the Census Bureau released last week showed that in 2014, 9.7 percent of the businesses in the St. Louis metro area were startups less than a year old, up three percentage points from 2009. Only Elizabethtown, Kentucky, saw a bigger increase during that period. In just five years, St. Louis rolled back 15 years of decline in its local startup rate.
Read the full article about fastest growing cities for startups in the United States
We at Hardin Local are super excited and could not believe the news when we first heard about an hour ago. We think it important to point out that Elizabethtown did not rise to the top of this list by accident. There are many business owners, investors, state and local government officials, and many private influencers responsible for creating an environment that allows us all to be successful entrepreneurs.
A big thanks to several influencers in Elizabethtown that help individuals make their startup dreams reality are:
- Lisa Williams – Kentucky Innovation Network Director
- Patricia Krausman – Director/Management Consultant – Small Business Development Center – Elizabethtown
- Each Member of the Lincoln Trail Venture Group
- Many other people that we don’t have time to name this afternoon
Since we are the topic of Elizabethtown and Startup companies we thought it might be helpful to mention the following:
- Recently one of the Lincoln Trail Venture Group Members, Burt Walker, has been writing a new blog series named, “Hardin Local Startups By Burt Walker.” We know the name is super creative and I (Phil) claim responsibility for the name being super creative :).
- Startup Garden Monthly Event – Startup Garden is a networking event for entrepreneurs, investors, and anyone interested in starting something new. We meet every month, normally the first tuesday evening of the month at a local venue in Downtown Elizabethtown. If you are interested in being interested RSVP for the next event in October. The event page will be updated shortly but you can still RSVP for October now.
There is so much more that could be said about Elizabethtown and startup companies. I am sure we will be publishing more on this topic in the near future, so be sure to subscribe to our email newsletter below, The Hardin Local Insider is a great way to stay in the know Hardin County.